- When we’re stuck in victim mentality our happiness depends on external things:
- Other people
- We blame external circumstances for our happiness or lack thereof.
- We THINK that we’re unhappy because of external things: But, the cause of our unhappiness is our thoughts.
- Blaming leaves us powerless.
- If we depend on the actions of other people to make us happy we’re at their mercy.
- When they don’t make us happy then we try to change them.
- We can’t change other people.
- As teachers it’s important to manage our emotions and not make decisions from that reactive place.
- We can take full responsibility for how we feel.
- We don’t have to depend on people or our situation changing. We can change how we feel by changing our thoughts.
- This is empowering – recognizing that students’ behavior is not about us. It gives us access to then be able to help them.
Don’t forget to subscribe to Teacher Thrive on your favorite podcast platform (Spotify or Apple) to receive updates on new episodes. If you find this podcast valuable, please leave a review and share it with fellow educators who are seeking to thrive in their teaching journey.
Original Music by: Matthew Dotson
Cover Art by: Nate Rapai
[Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed in this podcast are those of the hosts and guests and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of any educational institutions or organizations. This podcast is presented solely for educational and entertainment purposes. The hosts are not licensed therapists and their opinion does not substitute the advice of a physician or other qualified professional]